Aug 18, 2010

Behind The Fancy Face - About Tina...

Behind The Fancy Face - About Tina...


This is just a post that will answer any questions (appropriate mind you) you may have about the girl behind the blog. You can feel free to ask any additional questions in the comments and I will add them to this post along with the answer (again appropriate). So what would you like to know?

Commonly Asked Questions:

1. What is my profession? What do I do for work? Where do I work?

This is by far the most frequently asked question and by now a lot of you may know I'm an engineer - BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering to be specific. I work for an engineering company that does safety evaluations for electrical and electronic products.
The company itself is very laid back and casual since we are not the central/main office. The dress code is business casual and jeans on Mondays and Fridays. While we can't wear like club wear to work there are basically no strict rules about makeup...hence why I can experiment.


2. What's my ethnic background? Where am I from?

Ethnically I'm half black, half Indian (eastern) and I am originally from the island of Jamaica. I moved to the US at age 18 and have been living in NY all that time.

3. How did I get started in makeup? When did I get started in makeup?

It all started about 3 years ago. I went to MAC for a makeover with my girlfriend for her birthday and got my first dose of makeup. I have always used mascara and eyeliner since high school so that wasn't new but I didn't use much of anything else. The MUA fixed my shabby brows and there sparked my love for MAC brow pencils and my obsession with my brows. I started collecting about 6 months after that after researching and landing on the Temptalia and MakeupGeek websites. Add YouTube and freelancing and taa daa! Here I am today.

Added...

4. Do I do makeup professionally? Or on other people?
I do occasionally do makeup for my friends and family when there's an event or if we are just going out on the town. But I don't do makeup professionally outside of that. I have done a few freelance jobs but I guess I just don't like the stress behind it (what if it turns out bad?...I don't want a bride to blame me!) and I get a little freaked out about touching other people (I'm odd I know but skin conditions make me cringe..I'm bad I know).

5. Where do I plan to go from here - makeup-wise?
I have no idea really. This whole thing started out as an online diary of my looks and swatches and turned into a bit more than that. I love makeup and it will always have my heart but I also love what I do now career-wise. I would be thrilled to be a part of the development process for Estee Lauder or something, maybe even marketing or demonstrations but for now I guess I am content. You never know what life brings and change is constant.

What else would you guys want to know about silly ole me?

19 comments:

  1. he he he Thanks for posting this. Now see, I never would've thought you worked as an Engineer. Also, A couple of months ago you were featured on MakeupGeek's blog. Since then I've subscribe to your blog & youtube channel. Again, thanks for sharing! Now I can sit my nosy ass down some where. =))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its awesome of you tell us a little bit about yourself. Thank you Tina :) :) :) :)

    Have you ever done makeup for someone else? Or plan to go further with your skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks so much sharing! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I was also going to ask you if you do makeup for other people, its true when you get a dose of MAC you are hooked for life, (10 years later.)LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing things about u with us. Mixed girls are always so gorgeous (like you). My hubby is from Guyana and they have a tone of mixed black and Indian ppl there (he's mixed black and native American himself). I wish I was more mixed racially, I'm just a mixed of various white and Mediterranean background :/

    Enough rambling on my behalf, stay gorgeous and once again engineer girls rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really nice of you to let us get to know you "behind the fancy face". How long did it take you to master your makeup skills?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh...this is very interesting Tina..thanx4sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thanks for sharing yourself with us Tina...loved reading this post! one question...where do you plan on taking it from here in the makeup scene...? one more question how do you epilate the hair from the sides of your face and the top of your lips? your face is always so smooth and glowy...its lovely! :)

    Alisa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. U know what's funny I was looking at the back of my fan and I saw the UL label lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is pretty much the same question others are asking... Do you do makeup professionally at all? (weddings, proms, photo shoots, etc?) I'd love to see an online portfolio of your work on others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much my ladies. I'm glad u guys care enough to want to know anything at all about me. :) I added two more questions from the ones you asked so you can see the response above.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a sweetheart!!! Thanks for letting us get to know more about you and thanks for sharing your beautiful looks and informative reviews with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thx Nisha. I enjoy sharing with u guys. This is such a great little place we have here for ourselves and our love of makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for being so transparent and sharing your looks and love of makeup with us. I check your page daily (and google reader) for updates. You are incredible! Keep up the awesome work and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So interesting! Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Alisa! I wax the hairs above my brows and tweeze the hairs on my brow bone. For all other facial hair I use Nair (for the face). That works pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much favorisntfair. U r so sweet to me! I really appreciate your support and great compliments!

    Thanks Jonna sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew you must have been from the islands! Your accent.
    How old are you, if that's not too personal? You look very young!
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  19. :) Thank u...I'm 27..not too old but old enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Free to contact me via email with further questions or business inquiries at thefancyface@hotmail.com. Comments that include advertisements, self-promotion, insults, etc. are subject to deletion.

>