Apr 5, 2011

M∙A∙C Primed For Perfection COLLECTION - Prep + Prime Highlighter THOUGHTS and SWATCHES...

M∙A∙C Primed For Perfection COLLECTION - Prep + Prime Highlighter THOUGHTS and SWATCHES...


M∙A∙C owns the primers category. Now we're taking Prep + Prime products further than ever: use them under, over, during and after makeup application. New Vibrancy Eye targets the three main causes for dark under eye circles - pigmentation, visibly weakened capillaries & shadowing - while illuminating the eye area with optical effects. And a wonderful new shaded highlighter debuts with this collection - Prep + Prime Highlighter is lush and cushiony, yet lightweight. The click "pen" allows for exact application.

Prep + Prime Highlighter
A pen-style highlighter that efficiently brings a soft sheer wash of colour to the skin. With its precision application, adds radiance just where you want it. Goes on smoothly for cushion-soft wear. Use over makeup for highlights, touch-ups or under makeup to brighten and prime.
3.6 ml / 0.12 fl oz
US$23.00

Light Boost - Soft yellow cream
Bright Forecast - Mid tone peachy coral
Radiant Rose - Light shell pink 


Availabilty: M∙A∙C - April 5 (online), April 7 (in stores)

************************
My Four Ps

Price 
The M∙A∙C Prep + Prime Highlighter is priced at $23 and contains 0.12 fl. oz. of product. There are similar products on the market and many of you may have already heard of the Yves Saint Laurent TOUCHE ÉCLAT Radiant Touch which retails for $40 for 0.1 fl. oz. Guerlain also has one called Precious Light Rejuvenating Illuminator which retails for $48 for 0.05 fl. oz. There is also one from Givenchy that hails as Mister Bright Touch Of Light Pen and is $33 for 0.05 fl. oz. All in all it seems that the M∙A∙C version is about 1/2 the price of the high-end brands and that sounds just about right to me. M∙A∙C Prep + Prime products also tend to fall within this price range so there's nothing out of the ordinary here.


Packaging
The M∙A∙C Prep + Prime Highlighter comes in a click-type black plastic pen with a synthetic brush applicator. The pen is pretty basic and functional. There is no luxe superfluous packaging here except for some subtle glitter infused in the black plastic.
The first use requires quite a few clicks to get the product flowing but after that initial click-fest the product will flow easily with one click. I will advise that you only use one click at a time since you need very little of the product. Multiple clicks can lead to product wastage so be careful.

The brush is synthetic and while it is decent for application I do not find it helpful with blending the product. You can use a regular brush, sponge or your fingers (my fave choice) to blend out the product where it is applied for a smoother finish.

The brush tip also brings up hygienic concerns for us clean-freaks since the product residue not to mention body oils, dust, skin cells and bacteria remains on the brush after use. But you can use a sanitizing wipe to ward off bacteria and keep the cap securely fastened to squash your concerns.





Product & Performance
I was very surprised at this product to be honest. I expected a liquidy sheer highlighter but instead I got a creamy smooth nicely pigmented highlighter. Pleasantly surprised.
The product is a medium thick creamy liquid that is smooth and rich and very pigmented. It is not runny or watery at all. It applies like a dream and because it is so pigmented you need very little to highlight the areas you desire. It blends onto the skin easily and dries down to a semi matte finish. I find that it dries relatively quickly but even when it is dry is still takes minimal effort to blend.
I did find that it can settle into creases and fine lines so it is best to set it with a powder. Since this is a Prep + Prime product it is meant to be used in conjunction with other products such as foundation, concealer, blush, etc.
It can be used under the eyes, under the brows, on the cheeks, along the bridge of the nose and just anywhere you want to highlight or brighten. I found that it worked well either on top of foundation/concealer or underneath for a brightening effect.
Overall
The highlight effect is top notch so if you want a product that will highlight and brighten under your eyes, this will be the one for you. I personally really like this product and find it very useful to brighten tired eyes. I would recommend this for highlighter lovers!

Light Boost - Soft yellow cream
This shade is best suited for light skintones.

Bright Forecast - Mid tone peachy coral 
This shade is great for medium to dark skintones and is also great for warming up the skin because of the peach tone.

Radiant Rose - Light shell pink 
This is good for cooler skintones and for brightening effects.

If you have a darker skintone then these are best used in conjunction with foundation and/or concealer to brighten. Lighter skintones can get away with using these on their own for highlighting.


**********************************

Bright Forecast - Mid tone peachy coral 
 Bright Forecast - Mid tone peachy coral 
 ********************************** 
Radiant Rose - Light shell pink   

Radiant Rose - Light shell pink 

********************************** 

Freshly Applied                                                Blended
Bright Forecast (left eye),  Radiant Rose (right eye) 



5 comments:

  1. I was pretty curious about this collection, thanks for the review!

    Btw, I always love when you revies things, your formatting and break down makes it so easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Darker Skin Tones, when you say used in conjunction with foundation and/or concealer to brighten, What exactly does that mean? Mixing the foundation or concealer with the highlighter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No prob Widdlesh! Glad it helps! And I'm happy to hear feedback about my review breakdown. :)

    Hey CruzB. I mean use it under or over foundation and blend it in rather than using the highlighter alone. The highlighter can look stark bright on darker skin so u want to be sure to blend well with your foundation. No need to mix it in tho....just apply as a regular primer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review Tina, I totally had forgotten about these to be honest. I don't do my MAC homework anymore, lol! and let me just say again that ur reviews are my fave, they're just detailed enough :)

    I'm on a highlighter kick so I think I'm gonna try Radiant Rose. I think that shade is my best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No prob Saadeh! I agree with u on the upcoming MAC collections...I am not that interested. I just keep up with them for the blog now.

    I'm glad u like the reviews my dear heart. I try to make them as informative as possible...and talk about things I would want to know myself. Rose Radiance would be great for u!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Free to contact me via email with further questions or business inquiries at thefancyface@hotmail.com. Comments that include advertisements, self-promotion, insults, etc. are subject to deletion.

>