Apr 7, 2011

The Fancy Flops - ShoeDazzle and Jewelmint





It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt (or charged)!

I discovered the ShoeDazzle shoe/handbag/accessories club and the JewelMint jewelry club through YouTube mentions.

ShoeDazzle is a website that specializes in shoes, handbags and jewelry to fit your style. To start out they have you set up and account and take a "Style Quiz". This is basically a set of pictures of different styles and you select the ones you prefer depending your personal tastes. This sets up your "style profile" and every month a few items that fit your profile are featured in your "closet". You may chose to buy any of the items you find appealing for a flat rate of $39.99 with free shipping. Each month your closet is updated with new styles that may suit your style.

JewelryMint is centered around the same concept but focuses on jewelry and each item or set is $29.99.

I thought this was a great concept and would be fun to have a "personal shopper" select styles for me to browse. I even went ahead and purchase one item each last month from both websites.

Now, they say it's a free monthly subscription to these websites and you are only charged when you purchase an item from your "closet" or "showroom". Sounded great to me! WRONG!

I check my accounts everyday out of habit and lo-and-behold I had charges from both these websites as a "monthly subscription charge". Excuse me! I call both of them right away to set things straight!

Here's what I found out:
  • Both websites charge your account/credit card a monthly amount ($39.99 for ShoeDazzle and $29.99 for JewelryMint).
  • This amount is then credited to your ShoeDazzle or JewelryMint as a virtual "store credit" for use on your NEXT purchase.
  • This is done each and every month and the balance on your account is good for a year. What happens after a year? Poof! It's theirs to keep!
UPDATE: Our readers Kai and Babydoll just let us know that there is an option on ShoeDazzle to "SKIP THIS MONTH" and avoid being charged the monthly amount. But you MUST go the website each month between the 1st and 5th in order to SKIP the month. Other wise you will get charged. Thanks ladies for clearing that up. : )

Bottom Line - Even though they CLAIM there is no monthly fee, they still charge your account for one purchase a month whether or not you actually purchase an item UNLESS you opt to SKIP that month between the 1st and 5th of the month (ShoeDazzle and JewelryMint - confirmed by customer service). Now, maybe it's just me but I do NOT want to be obligated to a monthly purchase every month from any website. No one should FORCE me to buy something even if I don't want to. Plus I don't want to have to SKIP each month in order to avoid being charged. With so much going on I am sure to forget. My money is mine to spend and I won't be BULLIED into making a purchase!

Needless to say I CANCELLED both subscriptions and I am putting this WARNING out there for others. Maybe you are okay with being compelled to purchase an item each month because you like what they have to offer....or maybe you are not. Choose wisely!

P.S. Excuse the quotes and all caps. When I am heated I get sarcastic : )


15 comments:

  1. I don't know about the jewelry sight, but you don't have to purchase from shoedazzle every month. The catch it you have to select "Skip" in your showroom ( EVERY MONTH!) and your card will not be charged. The goal is to get you on the website in hopes that something will catch your eye before you select skip. Honestly, I frequent shoedazzle, but you can find similar styles cheaper at the mall. And for nearly $40 bucks the shoe quality isn't that spectacular. They are just OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I just wanted to correct you with shoe dazzle. I have been a member for a year and you DO NOT get charged every month whether you get a shoe or not. All you have to do is choose the "SKIP THIS MONTH" button on the very top of your account by the 5th of each month if you choose not to buy a pair of shoes and you are NOT charged. If you fail to click the "SKIP THIS MONTH" button by the 5th then you are charged. Just wanted to share because i've had nothing but great experiences.

    You may also read the about us to read for your self: "Enjoy your ShoeDazzle membership with peace of mind, knowing we'll never charge your card until you place your first order, and you'll always have the option to select the Skip This Month option in your Showroom between the 1st and 5th of any month, at no cost to you. You can even ask for new options if nothing in your showroom strikes you. Our stylists will gladly tailor you a second collection at your request."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly Kai! I've been an advid member for over a year. All you have to do is select the SKIP THIS MONTH button between the 1st-5th of every month and you are NOT charged! You can also go to the about us page and read more for clarification. i've had nothing but the best experience with them since being a member! Just wanted to share.

    See Below:
    "Enjoy your ShoeDazzle membership with peace of mind, knowing we'll never charge your card until you place your first order, and you'll always have the option to select the Skip This Month option in your Showroom between the 1st and 5th of any month, at no cost to you. You can even ask for new options if nothing in your showroom strikes you. Our stylists will gladly tailor you a second collection at your request."

    ReplyDelete
  4. No prob Chique!

    Girl Kai that is a task and a half because my memory sucks! I would end up not remembering to skip and get charged all the time. U r right that we can get cheaper versions elsewhere. I can get their shoes for $19.99 to $29.99. I like just browsing tho to get ideas. Such a shame. I was so mad today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH NO THEY DID--ENT!!

    My sister in law tried to talk me into joining Shoedazzle and my biggest objection is that I couldn't try them on or look at the quality of them before purchasing them. So glad I passed on that one.

    Good looking out hon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! They almost got me like this! One day I requested a new shoe collection and then at the bottom of the page I saw the reminder that read if you want to skip a month then be sure to noitify them by the 5th of each month!!! I didnt quite understand so I called customer service and a representative broke it down to me!!! Im glad I called because they have really cute shoes and I was soooo excited to order my first pair! & I wouldve been sooo pissed to find this out later! But thanks for sharing hun! Others please beware! (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tina - Girl Kai that is a task and a half because my memory sucks! //// LOL! Mine too. I forgot to skip and got charged just yesterday..Don't blame you for being mad tho!! Thanks for the info, I will not be going to J.Mint! BTW. I've never purchased from here..but shoeprivee dot com is just like shoedazzle but they dont ask for your credit card info ( you can use your facebook log in to link to the site) and their shoes are $29.99. Maybe you might like them? Keep up the good work! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never commented on this blog even though I'm on here everyday but when I saw this entry I just had to respond. I'm a member or I WAS a member of SD. I allowed the monthly shoe charge for 6 months you ladies know we ll LOOOOOVE shoes! ;-) The 7th month I went in and clicked "SKIP THIS MONTH" Well guess what? They didn't skip the month. They did charge me. I didn't realize it until I received my bank statement. I logged into SD and saw the credit. The did not refund me because it had been about 2 weeks since the charge so I got another pair. Well, low and behold the did it AGAIN after I skipped a month. I was checking my account so I caught it within 2 days. They did refund that charge but I cancelled my membership anyway because they made the mistake twice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, because I was recently introduced to the ShoeDazzle site.

    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey T, Thxs for the heads up. I subscribed (tho that lil style quiz thing is not for ppl w eclectic taste in fashion) but kept feeling like Kai said that the styles you could find cheaper versions. I also read plenty reviews about heels breaking and things of the sort. And finally I totally agree with you Tina that ppl do not remember about "skip this month" feature. Truly its a buyer beware. Many companies do this to bamboozle the customer...who the hell gonna remember that when u trying to pay every other bill and have a heck of a list of things to do...LOL...Again, Im glad the shoe addict in me hasn't succumbed to this site...wink. Ur a doll T!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ive been happy with my shoedazzle membership. to avoid this in the future,you could always place a reminder on your phone or computer. i have yet to forget to "skip a month" but i see how it can be easily forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can add SoleSociety to this list. Thanks for this post because I joined SoleSociety because of HauteLook and did not know that this is what I would have to look forward to:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. JustFab is the same way. I was aware of the monthly charge. I made sure I checked my account. I also made sure I skipped months when my "personal shopper" sent me items I didn't like. I also cancelled my subscription after a month. The shoes were cheap looking. The JustFab rep confirmed my theory when she said their shoes are "animal friendly". Although my shopping experience wasn't the best, the packaging & customer service was great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are the exact reasons I passed on these kind of sites. Smh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Free to contact me via email with further questions or business inquiries at thefancyface@hotmail.com. Comments that include advertisements, self-promotion, insults, etc. are subject to deletion.

>